COSTA MAR
Costa Mar's trade gamble: walking away from federal port deals
The region rejects a federal commerce agreement it says favours distant shipping lanes over local interests
Mateo Reyes1,189 wordsEdition № 99Sunday, 23 August 2026 — Edition № 99
Captain Javier Mendez, who has worked the Caribbean waters off Puerto Azul for thirty-two years, was in the harbour master's office on Tuesday when the news came through: Costa Mar's Regional Assembly had voted to reject the federal port-commerce framework that Meridian had been negotiating for six months. Mendez, whose small fishing cooperative depends on affordable port access and fuel-bunkering services, sat quietly for a moment. "We will see if they listen now," he said.
The vote—a narrow twenty-three to nineteen decision in the forty-two-seat Regional Assembly—marks an escalation in a dispute between Costa Mar and the federal government over shipping tariffs, container-handling fees, and the allocation of port revenue. The region argues that the proposed framework would divert traffic to Oriente Moderno's larger container terminal and raise the cost of maritime operations for Costa Mar's fishing fleets and eco-tourism operators.
Governor Solomon Adeyemi, who championed the rejection, framed it as a necessary stand for regional autonomy. "We have been patient negotiators," he said in a statement released Wednesday. "But patience without leverage is surrender. Costa Mar will not accept an agreement that treats our ports as secondary to a federal shipping strategy designed in Meridian without adequate regional consultation."
Continue reading
The rest of this article is for Herald subscribers.
Subscribe to the Zandoria Herald for €1.99 a month or €19.99 a year. Citizenship is included with every subscription, and a welcome email arrives within seconds of payment.
Cancel anytime · Refund prorated · No advertising
